United World Mission (“UWM”, “we”, “us”, “our”) respects and endeavors to protect the confidentiality of personal information you send our way. This policy covers information you provide to us via this website as well as information you provide to us via other means (face-to-face meeting, telephone, email and FAX).
How We Use Personal Information
We accept the responsibility, as far as it depends on us, to ensure that your information is protected:
- We do not sell, rent or otherwise intentionally deliver your personally-identifiable information to any third party outside the UWM family of ministries, with only a single exception. If you are giving to, or pursuing a service opportunity with, one of our partner organizations, the information you provide will necessarily be shared with them as part of the normal processes for which you provided it.
- We may use your email address to deliver no-cost notices and newsletters. We are happy to discontinue any of those subscriptions upon request.
- We do use your email address to send you electronic gift confirmations if you request this.
- We do use your personally-identifiable information only within the UWM family of ministries, and only to accomplish the purpose(s) for which you provided that information. This includes filling out a form on or via this website (or via a phone call or an email) in order to
- inquire about eventual service with us or a UWM ministry partner,
- order UWM materials (brochures, topic cards, promotional items, etc),
- request information about any UWM-related topic (donations, projects, policies, practices, etc),
- make a financial donation to any UWM missionary or ministry project.
- We do use web-based and other software tools (for email, messaging, accounting, donor relations, HR management, recruiting, financial management, etc) for internal purposes, chosen because they provide industry-standard data security.
- We do exercise prudent caution in our processing and procedures, and our staff receives regular training in cybersecurity practices.
Information We Collect
- Personal Information – We gather information that you voluntarily and willingly submit through our website. This includes contact information (name, various addresses, etc), financial information (credit card and or bank details), contact details submitted to pursue becoming a UWM partner or personal history details for the purpose(s) of subscribing to newsletters, making a donation, purchasing items and pursuing service opportunities.
- Aggregate visitor information – Our website server, like those of most website servers, gathers non-personably-identifying information such as your IP address, your browser type and the individual pages that you visit on our site. We occasionally use this information to review the effectiveness of our site(s) and the paths through them that visitors have followed.
Information We Display
None of the information you could submit is ever displayed on this or any other affiliated site. Comments or other information you submit on any form are never displayed publicly because we do not have discussion or comment functionality on this website.
A cookie is a piece of data containing information about the user stored by a site visitor’s browser program at the request of a website. This data is stored on the user’s computer, where it remains until the user clears the browser cache or until the cookie itself “expires” (after a period of time). Cookies enable a browser to maintain “sessions” that carry functionality between pages of the site. The UWM website itself does not deposit cookies for normal site visitors because it does not  enable “logins” (see exception below),  enable comments on page content or  enable polls or other forms of persistent, multi-page user interactions. UWM does use, and links to, an external donor portal system (operated by a third-party online donation-processing company) whose portal does have a user login and which does use a cookie to implement its secure session mechanism. Only financial donors ever see this mechanism, and thus only they receive a cookie. These cookies  are placed on the user’s computer only to enhance the user’s experience at the donation portal website, and  are under the control of the user.
We offer no content or services designed to attract children, and we select any posted photos or descriptions to be appropriate for a family setting. We do not expect children to interact with this site, but we do not implement mechanisms to block visitors in this age range. Our interaction mechanisms (forms, from which personal information could be gleaned) are intentionally addressed to adult donors, church staff and individuals who might wish to interact with us at their own initiative for the purposes indicated above.
There may be extraordinary circumstances where a legal process, an IT problem or a staff emergency requires us to disclose personal information to an appropriate authority. We reserve the right to do this, but always with appropriate concern and action for the protection of that information to the best of our ability.
Correcting Your Information
To request a correction or deletion of your personal information, or to ask questions about UWM’s data-security policies and practices, you may send an email to email@example.com, call us at 704-357-3355 or send snail-mail to United World Mission / 205 Regency Executive Park Dr, Suite 430 / Charlotte, NC 28217.
Be aware that we may not be able to delete your personal information without also deleting any financial and/or other accounts. We may not be able to accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement, or cause the information to be incorrect.
This page will always detail our latest privacy policies. The following is a list of changes to this policy:
- January 22, 2019 — Intial post.