Summer Intern – Central Asia
Summer Intern in Central Asia
Dates: June-July (4-8 weeks, dates flexible)
Application Deadline – April 14 (full funding due May 15)
This country in Central Asia (undisclosed for security purposes) is 96% Muslim. 60% of the population is considered unreached, and it ranks 22nd in the world for persecution of believers. Though there are churches in the few larger cities, only 0.05% of the population is evangelical. Rural areas & large pockets of city populations have had no chance to hear the gospel. There’s critical need for the support and encouragement of leaders within the church, as well as deep discipleship and equipping of believers in reaching out with the good news.
As part of the summer program, experience life as a cross-cultural worker immersed in a new culture, be mentored by experienced teammates, prayer walk the city & learn introductory language to connect with locals. You’ll leave Central Asia with a greater understanding of how God is moving in this part of the world and what contextualization of the gospel looks like in an unreached place.
Mission: As we abide in Christ, we will use our specific gifts and talents to engage in holistic, transformational business, medicine, and ministry to expose Central Asians to the Word of God through proclamation and action, so that the Father can draw them to Jesus, forming groups of Jesus-followers and disciple-makers.
Vision: That every person in this country have the opportunity to see their own need for and encounter the love and mercy of God through Christ, their only hope, in an understandable way through communities of multiplying disciples embodying Jesus
About The Program
What You’ll Experience:
- Learning culture, language and prayer walking in an unreached, Central Asian context
- Immerse in the culture by living with a host family
- Learn how to use your skills & giftings to glorify God
- Growing spiritually through team rhythms
- Volunteer opportunities at the medical clinic in eye & primary care as well as home visits.
- Opportunities to learn about general practice, pediatric physical therapy and eye-care in a cross-cultural context.
- Learning business for transformation in a Central Asian society
Most summer participants will live with a local family (in walking distance of team leads if available) to have an immersive experience. Bus system in the city to get around (the team will show you how!)
Tourist E-Visa (up to 60 days in country)
Summer participants will spend some time learning the local Central Asian language. English is not widely spoken in this area.
Orientation upon landing and support from team leads in settling in the first few days. Weekly rhythms with the team include meetings with rotational topics of spiritual growth, ministry principles, and prayer/planning, as well as a rhythm of either spiritual friendship times or prayer walking in pairs or threes.
$2,400 + airfare (includes visa of $50, housing, in-country transport & meals)
- You’re a follower of Jesus and wanting to grow spiritually
- You’re adaptable and teachable
- You want to serve in a cross-cultural environment