Tribal Language Advancement Coordinator
As a Tribal Language Advancement Coordinator serving in Mexico for 1-2 years (or more!), immerse yourself into a new language and culture through our Avance Program! Live with a host family, level up your Spanish skills and serve in local ministries + churches under a great team of fun & experienced leaders in Mexico City! Together with Mexican Christians, spend your life on what will outlast it in one of the largest cities of the world while growing and learning about God’s will for your life.
About the Role & UWM Partner, UNTI
Mexico is one of the top 5 countries in the world with the highest linguistic diversity- with 25 million indigenous people speaking 364 variants of native languages. Thus, Mexico is an important and strategic location for Bible translation.
UNTI (National Union of Indigenous Translators) is an indigenous organization dedicated to Bible translation and the preservation of the native languages of Mexico. They work to strengthen their languages, producing materials that inspire the development of their villages, and encouraging the formation and exercise of indigenous leadership. UNTI desires to build up the languages of the people so that they may relate with God and society within their own identity.
If you’re a young professional who desires to see all people have the word of God in their heart language, we’re looking for you!
- Be equipped through cross-cultural and spiritual formation training (pre- and on-field)
- Work directly in their Headquarters in Mexico City under the leadership of the Executive Director, Luis Cháves and his IT & Creative Arts Team.
- Enroll in Spanish language classes (college credit available in some cases) to connect with the culture (prior Spanish knowledge not required, but if you have it that’s great!)
- Immerse in Mexican culture by living with a host family
- Have weekly rhythms with a team of young adults & qualified leaders
- Train in leadership development
- Serve in a local ministry (churches, anti-trafficking, hostel ministry, music, womens ministry, etc.)
- Experience cross-cultural life in a dynamic, bustling city in Mexico
- Learn how to use your skills & giftings to glorify God
- You have experience in linguistics
- You’re 18-29 years old
- You’re a follower of Jesus and wanting to grow spiritually
- You’re adaptable and teachable
- You want to serve in a cross-cultural environment
- You’re willing to raise your support for this role (don’t worry- we’ll show you how!)