As an Environmental Engineer serving in Mexico for 1-2 years (or more!), work hand in hand in ministry with local farmers and their floating farms in the canals of Xochimilco. Immerse yourself into a new language and culture through our Avance Program! Live with a host family, level up your Spanish skills and serve in local ministries + churches under a great team of fun & experienced leaders in Mexico City! Together with Mexican Christians, spend your life on what will outlast it in one of the largest cities of the world while growing and learning about God’s will for your life.
About the Neighborhood – Xochimilco
The neighborhood of Xochimilco holds close to many pre-Hispanic influences in its culture and customs. The canals, chinampas, and wildlife in this far east side of the city are essentially “the lungs” of Mexico City. This city is the largest in Latin America, with approximately 21.2 million people. Accordingly, Mexico City is an important and strategic location for ministry outreach and church planting. It is also a city, which contains a clear mixture of prosperous and poorer neighborhoods. Community development projects are important in many of the poorer communities.
This community is incredibly unique in its methods of transportation and agriculture. To this day, the people continue to use the land as they did more than five hundred years ago. The chinampas are used a sources to cultivate many native crops that are then sold to the centro de abostos. It is critical to provide continued knowledge and awareness to the community about using and reserving these lands for agriculture.
- Be equipped through cross-cultural and spiritual formation training (pre- and on-field)
- Enroll in Spanish language classes (college credit available in some cases) to connect with the culture (prior Spanish knowledge not required, but if you have it that’s great!)
- Immerse in Mexican culture by living with a host family
- Have weekly rhythms with a team of young adults & qualified leaders
- Train in leadership development
- Serve in a local ministry (churches, anti-trafficking, hostel ministry, music, womens ministry, etc.)
- Experience cross-cultural life in a dynamic, bustling city in Mexico
- Learn how to use your skills & giftings to glorify God
- You have experience with agriculture & engineering
- You’re 18-29 years old
- You’re a follower of Jesus and wanting to grow spiritually
- You’re adaptable and teachable
- You want to serve in a cross-cultural environment
- You’re able to work in physical labor and relationship building with people from diverse backgrounds
- You’re willing to raise your support for this role (don’t worry- we’ll show you how!)