Community and Hospital Chaplain
As a Community and Hospital Chaplain serving in Colombia for 1-2 years (or more!), immerse yourself into a new language and culture through our Avance Program! Live with a host family, level up your Spanish skills and serve in local ministries + churches under a great team of fun & experienced leaders in Medellin! Together with Colombian Christians, spend your life on what will outlast it in Colombia’s largest city while growing and learning about God’s will for your life.
About Colombia & the Role
A city of 2,569,000 surrounded by the Andean mountains, Medellin is the largest city in Colombia. The culture surrounding the Catholic church in Colombia has created a space for misplacement of moral and ethical values. There is much need on a spiritual level in many Colombian families: they face division, infidelity, sexual brokenness, and addiction. On a sociocultural level, there is much polarization- many do not earn enough to cover their basic needs abd 10% of population endures extreme monetary poverty. While open evangelism is not permitted in Colombia, this position offers a chance to minister in tangible ways.
As a Community and Hospital Chaplain in Colombia, join a ministry that’s existed for 27 years bringing work psychological and spiritual help to sick people in hospitals, maternity clinics, and elderly homes.
Main ministries include:
- Elderly home- Spend time with the elderly, including: reading, listening, accompanying, and helping with manicures and hairdressing if able.
- Hospital- Spend time with patients, for example: visiting, accompanying, playing board games, chatting, and reading to them.
- Maternity clinic- Accompany mothers before, during, and after birth: listening, sharing, praying, and being present.
This position will also likely include work on the holistic side of ministry: Medical consultations, nutritional education, spiritual accompaniment, visiting homes and families of patients, and short trips for Health Brigades (service oriented visits within the city or outside, possibly working with indigenous groups).
- Be equipped through cross-cultural and spiritual formation training (pre- and on-field)
- Enroll in Spanish language classes (college credit available in some cases) to connect with the culture
- Immerse in Colombian culture by living with a host family
- Have weekly rhythms with a team of young adults & qualified leaders
- Train in leadership development
- Serve in a local ministry (churches, anti-trafficking, hostel ministry, music, womens ministry, etc.)
- Experience cross-cultural life in a dynamic, bustling city in Colombia
- Learn how to use your skills & giftings to glorify God
- You’re 18-29 years old
- You’re a follower of Jesus and wanting to grow spiritually
- You’re adaptable and teachable
- You want to serve in a cross-cultural environment (including highly vulnerable communities)
- You’re willing to raise your support for this role (don’t worry- we’ll show you how!)
- You desire to see a flourishing church in Latin America
- You speak an intermediate level of Spanish (B1 level)
- You’re willing to serve in hospitals & communities and are interested in medical work